The National Programme for Education of Girls at Elementary Level (NPEGEL), is a focused intervention of Government of India, to reach the “Hardest to Reach” girls, especially those not in school. Launched in July 2003, it is an important component of SSA, which provides additional support for enhancing girl’s education over and above the investments for girl’s education through normal SSA interventions.
Objectives of the programme:-
Unique features of NPEGEL:-
- Reduction of gender gap in education sector.
- Ensure greater participation of women and girls in the field of education.
- Improve quality of education.
- Stress upon the relevance and quality of girls education for their empowerment.
Target Population / Beneficiaries:-
- Establishment of Model Cluster School exclusively to promote girls education
- Scope for all round development of girls (Enhancement of Self-esteem and Self-confidence).
- Vocational Education.
- Life-Skill Education.
- Gender Sensitization Training Programme for Teachers.
- Comprehensive and Continuous Evaluation process.
- Remedial Teaching for Low Level Learner.
- Linkage between Pre-School Education and Primary Education.
- Incentive for girls to attract them towards education.
- Reorganization/award to potential and dedicated teachers.
- Community Mobilization activities and community support for girls education.
- Use of human and physical resources of the community in various programme.
- Bridge Course to address the need of out of school and Adolescent girls.
- Girl child friendly school at cluster level by ensuring the content and process of education is sensitive to gender issue.
- Development of learning materials in regional language.
- Research study on various gender issue and impact.
The scheme would be applicable in the following areas –
- Out of School Girls
- Drop out girls
- Overage girls, who have not completed elementary education
- Working girls
- Girls from marginalized social groups
- Girls with low attendance
- Girls with low levels of achievement
Early Childhood Care and Education Centre (ECCE) -
- Criteria –1: Educationally Backward Block (EBB) where the Rural Female Literacy Rate is less than the National average (46.13%) and the Gender Gap is above the National average (21.59%).
- Criteria –2: Block of the Districts having 10% SC/ST population and SC/ST Female Literacy Rate below 20%.
- Criteria –3: Identifies smaller Towns whose literacy rate got covered under block data, need to be qualified for covered under NEPGEL. Identified slum of larger cities, which are notified by the Ministry of Urban Development and poverty alleviation of Govt. of Odisha. Slums of Municipality & Municipal Corporations covered, as many slums looms in the out skirts of these Industrial, Town ships & big Cities. Census data 2001 was referred to finalize the list of small towns to be covered under this Programme.
Criteria –1 Criteria –2 Criteria –3
||Slums of Municipality/ Municipal Corporation
Model cluster school (MCS) -
A Model cluster school consists of 7 to 9 schools at cluster level. Basically it acts as a Resource Centre for promoting girls education in the cluster with all facilities and a strategy to improve the rate of retention, ensure regular attendance, enrollment and quality of education in all schools tagged under MCS.
- Cluster level: - Cluster level Coordination Committee has been formed in all MCS for implementation of the programme and its management. Cluster coordinators are in position throughout the state, they are coordinating the whole programme at cluster level and being involved in community mobilization activities.
- Block level: - Block resource group have been formed in all EBBs, BRGs members are providing support to implement the scheme in all MCS of the block. They are also being involved in monitoring process and act as resource person in various training programme
- District level: - District level Gender Coordination Committee formed & oriented
- Zonal Office: - To provide resource support in KBK & Southern region, a Zonal Office has established with Zonal Coordinators.
It is a school readiness Package for preschool children in the age group of 3-5.The main objective of ECCE centre is to reduce the sibling care problem and promote pre-school education with focusing all round development of pre-school children
Development of print material
The following modules / Guide lines / have been developed for imparting training to field functionaries associated with implementation of NPEGEL scheme in the field.
Personality Development Camp
- Teachers Training Module on Gender sensitization.
- Life Skill Module for girls.
- Cluster Coordinator Training module.
- Bridge Course Module for facilitators.
- CLCC module for the training of CLCC members.
- Bye law for CLCC.
- Implementation booklet on NPEGEL.
- Job chart of Cluster Coordinators and ECCE instructors' month wise.
- Suggestive list on Teaching Learning equipment (Class and subject wise.)
- Suggestive list of play material for ECCE.
- Monitoring format for MCS Coordinator and ECCE Instructor.
- A detailed NPEGEL Oriya handbook has been developed as reference material, which is followed by the field functionaries to implement the programme
- Poster and leaflets containing the message and importance of NPEGEL have been developed and circulated throughout the community to create awareness among people.
- Teleconferencing is one of the important media to orient district and block level staff regarding NPEGEL, Hence the following programme have been conducted through Gramsat.
- Transaction of MTA module (Rashmi)
- Transaction of Teachers Training Module (Shiksha)
- Orientation of field level functionaries of NPEGEL.
- Strategy for implementation of NPEGEL.
Training and Workshop
- Personality development camp for MCS girls has been conducted in several districts.
NON-RECURRING Component of NPEGEL:-
Teaching Learning Equipment
- National Level Workshop for planning and implementation of NPEGEL and KGBV in the grass root level has been conducted with the collaboration of UNICEF.
- All Headmasters-cum-Secretary of MCS School were oriented on different strategy and operational mechanism of NPEGEL.
- Block Resource Centre Coordinators and Cluster Resource Centre Coordinators were trained to speed up the process.
- In order to make classroom teaching more effective and interesting, teaching learning equipments has been procured and supplied to MCS in different districts of the State.
- The students of MCS and all tagged schools are using these TLE during the teaching learning process. MCS coordinators are assigned with the role to distribute the TLE.
Vocational skill training in different MCS has been completed and in some MCS the Music teachers, craft teachers, Yoga Teachers, Art teachers have been engaged to impart training
Sports Equipments Distribution
- To explore the sportive qualities of the girls different sports equipments have been procured in the MCS and distributed among the tagged schools, which is being used by the students of the cluster.
- Different sports competitions are being conducted among the girls of MCS schools.
Bicycle procurement and Distribution
In all MCS 3 Ladies bicycle have been procured and distributed among MCS Coordinators and MCS School to develop self-confidence among girls and MCS Coordinators.
Library Books Distribution
Library books on different subject matter have been procured and distributed among the girls of the MCS, In addition to this different inter school and intra school competition i.e Essay Competition, Debate competition, extempore on different issues are being conducted in MCS
For attitudinal transformation, gender sensitization of teachers and development of girl's friendly environment in the classroom, the Gender sensitization teacher training has been completed
Early Child hood care and education centers
To meet the gaps in integrated child development scheme and to relieve girls from the burden of sibling care two early childhood care and education (ECCE) Center have been opened per cluster where there is no childcare centers under any scheme of the department of women and child development
In order to attract the girls' students into the fold of education in all NPEGEL districts all the girls have been provided the Uniform, as a result of which the retention of girls in the school has been increased
Nutrition and School Health
Health is also a critical issue relating to girl child. All the aspect of access, enrollment, retention and achievement do have a positive correlation with health and nutrition. To address these problem convergences with Health administration and MDM has been made in different district. In some district the Block level and MCS level Health checking camps have been conducted.
To develop competence level of girls, Remedial Teaching centers have been opened in Model Cluster Schools.
In order to mobilize the community towards girls' education and involve them more in the process of educational management, different community mobilization activities have been undertaken in the MCS. Similarly to coordinate community mobilization activities in all MCS, MCS Coordinator have been appointed and imparted training.
- 319 Number of building has been completed in different district of Odisha with electricity, drinking water and girl's toilet facilities.
- These MCS building are being used for conducting different training programme, workshop, and capacity building training of MCS coordinators, CLCC, MTA etc. It also acts as resource centre for NPEGEL activities in the cluster